Monday 27 February 2012

Breaking Molds All Over The Place


Another post to break the mold.... I normally don’t read too much non-fiction, unless it’s for school or something. But while I was at the bookstore a few weeks back, I came across this book – Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism, by Natasha Walter. This book is very good and it made me think a lot and also made me pretty irritated with the way things are for many women and men in the world today. I know I face sexism every day (hello, work), but not to the extent a lot of people do. I consider myself lucky because I can make my own decisions. This is a point, though, that is brought up in the book. Everyone has a choice. But it is important to consider the circumstances under which our ‘choices’ are made. In a society that, in general, largely expects certain behaviour from men and women, it’s no wonder we (men and women alike) make some of the choices we do.

One interesting topic that was brought up is the unfair objectification of women in politics. Men in politics are judged mainly on their merit and whether or not they are doing a ‘good’ job. Women in politics are often judged on whether or not they are hot. If they are not hot, then somehow, they are ‘unnatural’ and shouldn’t be trusted – regardless of how intelligent they are or if they are satisfactory politicians.

Another interesting topic was about the ‘choice’ that men make to go back to work very soon after their child is born. This is often seen as a choice, even though men are sometimes not given the same leave rights as women after childbirth. This reinforces stereotypes and gender roles.

A final topic I will mention is the very narrow view of masculinity and femininity that is projected on people even from birth. Men and women – boys and girls – are expected to behave differently – to behave in certain ways. Some people argue this is biologically instilled in humans, but Walter points out that in fact there is better scientific evidence that shows no biological basis to ‘masculine’ or ‘feminine’ behaviour. (I will note that I have not researched the topic or read the scientific papers she references myself, but I am more of a leaner towards social factors influencing different gender behaviour expectations.) I really hate being pigeon-holed into behaving and looking a certain way. I am not a wee dainty girl. I’m 6 feet tall, I’m never gonna be petite. And you know what, it often makes me feel bad about myself the way I see people (men and women) drooling over petite skinny girls as if they are the only ones who are beautiful. “Oh I’d destroy that”, I often hear at work. Thanks, co-worker, for objectifying that poor girl who is just out shopping and doesn’t really care if you’d like to have sex with her until she breaks in half. (Ugh, rant over.)

And finally, a quote from the book: “We will never challenge the ways that women’s freedom is still constrained if we simply acquiesce in the idea that women are biologically programmed to fit in with the most limited stereotype of femininity.” And I’d also like to say I feel the same way for men and masculinity as well.  

I recommend this book for everyone, women and men. It is important for everyone to be aware of these issues. Even if you don’t consider yourself to be sexist at all, these things are happening in our world everyday and could affect your loved ones. Hell, they probably affect you even if you don't realise it. Also recommended for parents who want their children to be free to choose who they are. Personally, I am glad I was given free rein to run around like a wild child, climb trees, ride bikes, smash rocks with a hammer to see what was inside (ok, parents might not know about that one), and explore the woods like a mad woman rather than sit inside and play with barbies and put on makeup all day dressed in pink. I probably wouldn’t be the awesome woman I am today otherwise.

Further recommended reading: 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6378897-living-dolls (see this page for some more in depth reviews of the book)


2 comments: