Sunday 11 March 2012

'Everything is not so bad' when you have a good book


The topic today is about one of my favourite books. I have three favourite books (and just by chance they all start with ‘C’):  Candide, A Confederacy of Dunces, and A Clockwork Orange. Why I have chosen these...I don’t know. I never really thought about it too much before beyond the fact that I like them. But upon deeper thought, perhaps it is because for each of the books, I had never before that point read anything like them.

This post, in particular is about Candide, or Optimism by Voltaire. This is a great book and I first read it at a time in my life when I was absolutely miserable. Nothing was going right in my life – or so I thought – and I hoped for something better. This book helped! The misery that Candide suffers while still hoping that he was in ‘the best of all possible worlds’ is funny, sad, and cynical. I love this book! But, I do have a hankering for utopian literature in general. And I would consider this – for me – to be a bit utopian in a sense. Candide is always out searching for his eutopia, and finds it in El Dorado momentarily yet decides it still isn’t good enough because his love isn’t there. I guess it is like some people say...’everything happens for a reason’, or ‘look on the bright side’... Well, I don’t believe in all that garbage. Sometimes things just suck. But it’s not totally cynical and pessimistic to denounce Leibnizian thought or optimism in general. Rather, you can accept that things suck for the time being, or things could be worse, or whatever, and say that ‘everything is not so bad’.

Here are some of my favourite quotes from Candide (the translated version you see in the picture above):

‘A hundred times I wished to kill myself, but my love of life persisted. This ridiculous weakness is perhaps one of the most fatal of our faults.’ – the old woman

‘When one cannot come to terms with one world, one can always do so with another. ‘Tis a great delight to see and do new things.’ – Cacambo

‘If we find nothing pleasant, at least we shall find something new.’ – Cacambo

‘...when one is tolerably at ease in any place, he should remain there.’ – King of El Dorado

‘Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part, I read only to please myself, and like only what suits my taste.’ – Pococurante

‘Such are my sentiments. I speak my mind, and am perfectly indifferent whether others think as I do.’ - Pococurante

No comments:

Post a Comment